If you have ever thought of ‘going off the grid’ and living in the woods just to escape all the stress and pollution of daily living, think again. No more convenience-on-tap lifestyle, every comfort you need will have to be built, collected or self-produced. Sounds like really hard work to me!
However, the price of modern living and our daily conveniences have consequences; we have to live with the toxicity our environment produces and this causes our health to suffer. Most toxins cannot be avoided, but some can be controlled and minimized by making better choices.
Why do some people handle toxins better than others?
Each individual's personal detoxification response, to one or another specific substance, is tied to both the individual's lifestyle and diet and also to their genetic heritage! At Health Renewal we now offer the latest in individual genetic testing to determine your health risk predisposition and your ability to eliminate toxins. These genetic tests offer an unparalleled opportunity to gain insight into your unique genetic profile and how this relates to your health.
What kind of toxins affects our health and lifestyle on a daily basis?
- We breathe and inhale toxins from cigarettes and air pollution.
- We ingest toxins from our food, water, and prescription medication.
- The pesticides and herbicides that are sprayed on our food contain toxins that are absorbed by our bodies.
- Exposure to irradiation from medical x-rays, cell phones, wifi, microwave ovens, power plants and many others.
- Fast food and highly processed food is a quick way of adding more toxins.
- City living has lots of environmental toxins, so country living may really be an option to consider.
- Smoking or recreational drugs can expose one to a range of undesirable toxins.
How do I know that I am affected by these toxins?
- If you experience two or more of the following, you may want to adjust your lifestyle:
- A general sense of feeling unwell
- A lack of energy and poor concentration
- Excess weight that is difficult to shed
- Acne or other skin conditions
- Bloating or constipation
- Aching muscle and joints
- Headaches or chronic nasal congestion
- A build-up of toxins will attack the weakest part of your body first. This condition usually starts with a feeling of dragging yourself through the day without enough energy to do so. If this persists, you are probably in need of some lifestyle changes and detoxification.
Which toxins are likely to affect me?
Each person is unique and the way your body will respond depends on your genetic heritage, lifestyle, and diet. The enzyme system in our body responsible for detoxification and excretion of toxins are found mainly in the liver
How can I find out where my weaknesses are?
Genetic testing is available to ensure that enzyme systems for detoxification in the liver are functioning normally. At Health Renewal, taking the Health and Oestrogen gene panel will give your functional doctor a good idea of how you metabolize common toxins and estrogen. In addition, blood tests and specific liver enzyme tests can also be done. All these tests will determine how your body copes with detoxification and the best way to support your system. To make a holistic assessment of disease risks, all environmental factors (diet and lifestyle) need to be considered in conjunction with the accompanying genetic profile.
How does detoxification work?
To enable the body to detox, toxins must be converted into substances that are soluble in the blood in order to be eliminated during the Phase I in the liver.
Phase II involves conjugation enzymes and this is where your diet would contribute to more successful detoxing. Remember … You are what you eat!
Why should all women and men do estrogen gene testing for metabolism and detoxification?
The importance of both estrogen and progesterone in breast cancer development is well established. Variations in the genes involved in the biological detoxification of these hormones help identify a subset of women and men with a higher lifetime exposure to estrogen and other carcinogens.Understanding an individual’s gene variability will allow for a targeted diet, lifestyle and hormone intervention. The Oestrogen Gene Panel includes 10 genes involved in estrogen metabolism and detoxification.
Where do I start?
A consultation with one of our experienced Functional doctors will be a great way to start. A full assessment, as well as gene testing, will be offered. Take our Detox Test which is available online and in all Skin, Body & Health Renewal branches. We have introduced a great detox plan, the “Clear Change Detox” from Metagenics which will help you regain your health without compromising your body.
Detoxification is not a sprint.It is a long-term lifestyle marathon which allows your body to clear out the current toxins and prevent the build-up of additional ones. Maintenance of lifestyle is essential if you want to remain in the best health possible.
View the Top 5 Supplements you should be taking to assist you in having optimal health!
Source: “http://www.designinfographics.com/health-infographics/why-detoxify-the-human-body”Read More