When you think about it, our modern lifestyle does incorporate a lot of sitting. Whether it’s in the car, at your desk, at the dinner table, in front of the television, or just sitting around, it is estimated that adults spend nine to ten hours on average per day… sitting.
Our bodies were designed to move; regular movement is essential for good health. An hour a day in the gym is not going to be enough to offset all that sitting!
Why is sitting unhealthy?
Studies have shown that when you have been sitting for a long time and get up, a whole cascade of events starts happening.
- Within 90 seconds, our systems which process blood sugar, triglycerides and cholesterol are activated. These are all facilitated by insulin.
- Just carrying your own body weight is good for you and can decrease the risk of diabetes and obesity.
- Being in motion keeps us healthier by helping the blood move slightly faster, increasing our metabolism and thereby contributing to the prevention of chronic diseases and inflammatory conditions.
Why must one address all causes of inflammation?
Inflammation can show up as bloating or digestive troubles; it can appear as skin conditions such as acne or eczema. It can damage your arteries and fuel the growth of cancers. These conditions are not necessarily inevitable, and neither is chronic inflammation, but you have to know what lifestyle and dietary steps to take in order to avoid them, many of which are fairly simple and straightforward. As functional doctors, we work with the power of whole foods and natural supplements to soothe the flames of inflammation.
Source: Harvard Health Publications
Did you know that inflammatory diseases start in the gut?
Inflammation is involved in pain, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, thyroid problems and gut disturbances. It starts in the gut with an autoimmune reaction which progresses into systemic inflammation. In short:
- A problem like Leaky Gut Syndrome (LGS) can impair normal digestion and negatively affect the absorption of nutrients.
- This alerts the immune system to respond in various ways e.g. inflammation, allergies and various others. (It has been established that the immune system drives the inflammatory process).
- This is normally treated with medication, which does reduce inflammation, but does not stop the disease process
- The secret is to turn off and prevent this inflammatory process by regaining optimal health and eliminating the causes in the first place.
What are the causes of gastrointestinal dysfunction?
- A diet consisting of too much processed food (any food that comes in a package that lists the ingredients), fast food, gluten, wheat, sugar, dairy, and alcohol.
- Various medications e.g. anti-inflammatories including aspirin, antibiotics, antacids etc.
- Chronic stress and burnout.
- Certain infections e.g. Candida, H. pylori, chronic viral or parasitic infections, bacterial overgrowth all affect the gut.
How do I cultivate a healthier lifestyle?
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Get enough sleep and exercise.
- Socialize in a healthier way.
- Cultivate healthier eating habits to restore balanced blood sugar levels, amongst many other benefits.
- Ensure that your food sources and natural supplements are of high quality and made from the best ingredients.
- Investigate natural anti-inflammatories such as curcumin extract (from turmeric), methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) and various others.
- Include antioxidants (both water and lipid soluble) and anti-ageing supplements in your daily regime.
- UltraClear RENEW™ is designed for individuals who may benefit from additional support for detoxification function and features an array of nutrients in a low-allergen-potential rice protein base to support phase II of liver detoxification.
Of course, the fastest way of getting the facts about your health, as well as how to restyle your life, would be to visit the experienced functional doctors at your Health Renewal clinic. They have all the facts and knowledge at hand to make your life healthier and happier.
How can I incorporate more daily movement?
Get up from your desk every hour (Put a timer app on your cell phone to remind you). Walk around and do a few exercises. Yes, I know it will look a bit silly, but it is for your health!
Other ideas to consider:
- Park your car further from the shops or office.
- Always take the stairs.
- Sit in an upright chair so you cannot slouch. Alternatively just consciously move around in your chair more often.
- Use an exercise ball as your chair. It takes some getting used to, but the exercise from that will be amazing for core muscles. The first time I tried it, I lasted about 10 minutes before being exhausted.
Don't self-medicate. Make an appointment with your Health Renewal doctor today so that we can test for signs of inflammation and treat it promptly.
Visit our Inflammation web page for more information!Read More