In America, Cancer related deaths amount to the second leading reason for death in its people. The risk of getting cancer increases with each year that we age. With various studies to back the findings, Curcumin is a well known cancer-preventing agent, and offers a multi-modal approach by acting as an anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and gene-regulating supplement. Curcumin supplementation can assist in combating a wide spectrum of cancers, such as breast, cervix, uterus, prostate, and various areas of the gastrointestinal tract.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1What is Curcumin?
- 2How does supplementing with Curcumin help with preventing cancer?
- 3Treating cancers in Women:
- 4How can Curcumin benefit Prostate Cancer patients?
- 5The benefits for Gastrointestinal Cancers:
- 6What are the contra-indications?
- 7What are the 10 key factors in Cancer Development?
- This nutraceutical is derived from Turmeric (the Indian spice).
- It is the rhizome, or underlying stem, of a ginger-like plant, Curcuma longa L. belonging to the Zingiberaceae family.
- This substance has various active components making it a very strong multi-modal cancer preventing agent.
There are various factors that contribute to causing cancer in the human body, but supplementing with Curcumin can assist in a preventative strategy. Curcumin actively targets various causative factors, which contribute to the development of cancer, and by disrupting just one of these factors there is a good chance of preventing further onset and spread of cancer. Disrupting more factors has a cumulative effect and can even assist in preventing advanced DNA damage.
- Curcumin blocks the inflammatory master molecule (NF-kB): this cuts off cancer-causing inflammation.
- Curcumin interferes with the production of dangerous advanced glycation end products, which can lead to cancer mutation.
- Curcumin alters cellular signalling - this allows healthy cell replication and preventing growth of new tissue in tumors.
- Curcumin promotes apoptosis (programmed cell death) in rapidly reproducing cancer cells, without affecting healthy tissue.
- Curcumin regulates tumor suppressor pathways, and thus assist in increasing the death of cancer cells.
- Curcumin interveres with tumor invasiveness and blocks the blood supply preventing further metastases.
Due to Curcumin's multi-targeted actions it is a brilliant supplement to block multiple forms of cancer, BEFORE they get a chance to manifest in the body.
Woman are most often affected by Breast, Cervical and Uterus cancers. Supplementing with Curcumin offers various cancer preventative benefits, and for woman already living with cancer, is can be a adjuvant treatment option.
There are varies types of Breast Cancer and those affected by hormones are more effectively treated with conventional methods. The types of cancer that do not have receptors for female hormones are much more resistant and difficult to treat. It is for this reason that Curcumin is such a wonderful supplement in treating these stubborn cancers: Curcumin can induce apoptosis resulting in cancer cell death, whilst leaving healthy tissue unaffected.
Further, supplementing with 3,600mg of Curcumina day can have the following anti-cancer effects:
- Paraptosis: This is programmed cell death specifically in cancerous breast tissue.
- Targeted destruction of cancer-cell mitochondria, whilst not affecting healthy cell energy houses.
- Halting the replication of cancer cells, by suspending their non-reproductive state.
- Cancer cell down regulation, by blocking a vital group of molecules from reaching the cancer cells and reducing metastasis.
- Curcumin inhibits growth of the cancer stem cells, which are believed to be the root of many cancers.
Cervical Cancer is a leading cause in death of woman in developing nations, and is caused largely by being infected with the HPV (human papilloma virus). The anti-inflammatory properties of Curcumin can break down the link that triggers HPV induced cancer developement.
In fighting cancer of the Uterus, Curcumin promotes apoptosis in the cells lining the uterus and as a result can reduce the growth rate of painful, but non-malignant uterine leiomyomas.
In America, prostate cancer is the second leading, cancer related, cause of death. Thankfully this type of cancer has a very long latency period and slow growth rate, making it a prime candidate for prevention. The benefits of Curcumin include its ability to target multiple prostate malignancies, by meddling with the spread of cancer cells and regulating inflammation responses through the master receptor.
Curcumin effects the cancer cell's ability to respond to the sex hormone testosterone, which it feeds off to grow, this inhibits cancer initiation and promotion by blocking metastases from forming in the prostate and regulating enzymes required for tissue invasiveness.
Gastrointestinal cancers are perfect candidates for preventative treatments! They follow a very predictable and slow forming sequence of events before the full onset of cancer, which can take up to a decade.
However, if gastrointestinal cancer goes undetected it requires aggressive surgical care and chemotherapy, and 50% of patients have recurrent tumors.
The benefits of Curcumin in preventing Gastrointestinal cancers:
- The anti-inflammatory benefits halts the growth of cancer cells before they can become detectable tumors.
- Curcumin creates a healthy gastrointestinal environment, which inhibits proliferation of cancer cells and further reducing their production. This is possible due to Curcumin reducing levels of secondary bile acids, which are natural secretions, but contribute to the formation of colon cancer.
- The combination of Curcumin and Resveratrol also suppresses colon cancer
- Then patients are on chemotherapy, Curcumin works with this drug, boosting its efficacy and potentially reduce the of toxic chemotherapy products.
- Curcumin increases colon cancer cell's positive response to radiation.
- Vitamin D has potent anti-cancer properties - curcumin has the ability to bind and activate Vitamin D receptors in the colon.
Curcumin is also very powerful in preventing cancers in the stomach. It can inhibit the growth of human gastric cancer cells and is also very effective in stopping cancers that have become immune to multiple drug treatments. Curcumin has the ability to prevent gastric cells from progressing through their growth cycle, blocking further tumor growth. When humans are infected with the Heliobacter pylori bacteria, this can also lead to gastritis, peptic ulcer, and gastric cancer. Curcumin blocks the growth of H. Pylori and reduces the rate at which stomach cells react by turning cancerous.
- Do not use this product in patients who use anti-coagulant therapy. Turmeric has been reported to have anti-platelet effects.
- Not for pregnant of lactating females.
Cancer is an age-related disease and results from the accumulation of small and discrete assaults on the body. These can include oxidation, chronic stress (physical and emotional), infection, inflammation and other physiological aspects. These constant factors can take their toll over time and sets about abnormal cell proliferation:
- DNA Damage is often the first step in cancer cell formation
- Excessive or chronic inflammation: cytokines (cell signalling molecules) often act as cancer promoters
- Disruption of cell signalling pathways: Inflammation can disrupt health communication between cells resulting in cancer formation.
- Alterations in the cellular reproductive cycle: this four stage process can be altered resulting in potentially negative changes
- Abnormal regulation of apoptosis: when pre-programmed cell death fails, uncontrolled reproduction may take place
- Altered survival pathways: this can put the healthy host in danger by allowing mutation and proliferation of healthy cells.
- Excessive cellular proliferation
- Aggressive invasion of healthy tissue
- Rapid angiogenesis: this allows rapid tumor growth by providing a constant blood supply
- Metastasis: the spreading of cancerous cells throughout the body, beyond its primary tumor.
This treatment has not yet been reviewed. To review this treatment click here