Nutraceuticals are products derived from food sources that provide extra health benefits, in addition to the basic nutritional value found in foods.
Frequently Asked Questions
- 1Are Nutraceuticals available at all Health Renewal branches?
- 2What are patient specific Nutraceuticals?
- 3What are Nutraceuticals?
- 4What different kinds of Nutraceuticals are there?
- 5What Nutraceuticals are commonly recommended after one's initial consultation with the Health Renewal doctor?
- 6How do these Nutraceuticals provide extra health benefits?
- 7What other Nutraceuticals may be prescribed/ recommended?
- 8Why should one not self-medicate?
- 9Why should I choose Health Renewal as my provider of Nutraceuticals?
Nutraceuticals are available in Johannesburg at the Sandton,Fourways, Parkhurst, Illovo,and Morningside branches and Pretoria at Brooklyn and Irene as well as in the Western Cape at Claremont, Cape Quarter, Constantia, Willowbridge, Somerset West and Stellenbosch and in KwaZulu Natal at Hillcrest and Umhlanga.
Patient specific Nutraceuticals are prescribed at your follow up appointment with your Health Renewal doctor. For all health conditions, these patient specific nutraceuticals are individually tailored by the Health Renewal Doctor. The Doctor will decide, based on your history, physical examination and blood tests results what additional nutraceuticals would be the best for you and your specific needs and/or deficiencies.
Please do not self-medicate. Self-Medicating is done when a person takes prescription medication or nutraceuticals on their own without a doctor's supervision and/or consent. There is no single supplement given to clients as there is no magic bullet that can support all the essential nutrients that one's body needs.
Depending on the jurisdiction, products may claim to prevent chronic diseases, improve health, delay the aging process, increase life expectancy, or support the structure or function of the body.
Depending on its ingredients and the claims with which it is marketed, a Nutraceutical is either a drug, a food, a food ingredient, or a dietary supplement. The modern nutraceutical market began to develop in Japan during the 1980s. In contrast to the natural herbs and spices used as folk medicine for centuries throughout Asia, the nutraceutical industry has grown alongside the expansion and exploration of modern technology.
- Dietary supplements are products that contain nutrients derived from food products that are concentrated in liquid or capsule form. In the US, the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994 defined the term: "A dietary supplement is a product taken by mouth that contains a "dietary ingredient" intended to supplement the diet. The "dietary ingredients" in these products may include: vitamins, minerals, herbs or other botanicals, amino acids, and substances such as enzymes, organ tissues, glandulars, and metabolites. Dietary supplements can also be extracts or concentrates, and may be found in many forms such as tablets, capsules, softgels, gelcaps, liquids, or powders"
- Functional foods are designed to allow consumers to eat enriched foods close to their natural state, rather than by taking dietary supplements manufactured in liquid or capsule form. Functional foods have been either enriched or fortified, a process called nutrification. This practice restores the nutrient content in a food back to similar levels from before the food was processed. Sometimes, additional complementary nutrients are added, such as vitamin D to milk. Considered a father of Western medicine, Hippocrates advocated the healing effects of food. The Indians, Egyptians, Chinese, and Sumerians are just a few civilizations that have used food as medicine. Hippocrates, considered by some to be the father of Western medicine, said that people should “Let food be thy medicine”.
Your initial recommended nutraceuticals could include:
- Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids. Adding an omega-3 supplement to your daily diet is one of the simplest, and most powerful, things you can do for your health.
- Multi vitamin and minerals
- Anti-Oxidants (a combination of water soluble and fat soluble anti-oxidants is best)
- Vit D 3 & Vit K 2
- Hormone balancing
- The Acne 2 in 1 from Mannalabs is recommended for Acne prone patients to assist in treating acne from the inside.
The nutraceuticals mentioned in the previous question will be individually explained in following sections. The additional nutraceuticals will be recommended at the 2 week follow-up with the Health Renewal Doctor.
For all health conditions, the nutraceuticals are individually tailored by the Health Renewal Doctor. The Doctor will decide, based on your history, examination and blood tests what would be the best for you and your specific needs and/or deficiencies. Please do not self-medicate.
For all health conditions, the nutraceuticals are individually tailored by the Health Renewal Doctor. The doctor will decide- based on your history, physical examination and blood tests what would be the best for you and your specific needs and/or deficiencies.
Please do not self-medicate. Self-Medicating is done when a person takes prescription medication or nutraceuticals on their own without a doctor's supervision and/or consent. By not having a physical examination and blood testing done by a qualified medical practitioner, you could be not treating vital deficiencies or conditions such as elevated blood pressure and high sugar levels. In addition, there is no single supplement given to clients as there is no magic bullet that can support all the essential nutrients that one's body needs.
Health Renewals nutraceuticals are FREE OF: gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast, sugar, sodium, artificial flavour, sweetener, and preservatives. At Health Renewal we recommend that all our supplements (especially the fish oils ) have been certified to be free of heavy metal contaminants like mercury, PCB's, contaminants and are NOT rancid.