Frequently Asked Questions
Vitamin K2 is available at Morningside, Parkhurst, Bedfordview, Fourways, West Rand and Illovo clinics. In Pretoria at Irene and Brooklyn as well as in the Western Cape at Cape Quarter, Claremont, Constantia, Stellenbosch Paarl and Willowbridge branches and in KwaZulu-Natal at the Durban, Umhlanga branches.
According to top researchers, nearly everyone is deficient in vitamin K2, just like most people are deficient in vitamin D3. Most people get enough vitamin K from their diets to maintain adequate blood clotting, but this is not enough to offer protection against numerous health problems-and the list is growing. It's great that you are on our website and you can learn about this amazing vitamin long before the rest of population discovers its benefits.
Astute Doctors have long known that people with a lack of calcium in their bones are more likely to possess an excess of calcium in their arteries, and vice versa. The resulting lack of calcium in bone leads to osteoporosis, while the deposition of calcium in the arterial wall leads to coronary heart disease and other manifestations of cardiovascular, renal, and neurodegenerative disease. Increasing calcium is good for your bones but not so beneficial for your arteries, which can become calcified. But there is good news; vitamin K2 protects your blood vessels from calcifying when in the presence of high calcium levels by redirecting the calcium to the bones where it is needed most.
First of all, this vitamin is fat-soluble. Fat-soluble simply means that dietary fat is necessary for efficient absorption. So, if your diet does not contain adequate amounts of dietary fat, your absorption of this nutrient could be affected. Other reasons for a lack of vitamin K2 can be:
- Eating a poor or restricted diet
- Having certain conditions like Crohn`s disease, ulcerative colitis, celiac, and others that interfere with nutrient absorption.
- Dealing with a liver condition that interferes with vitamin storage.
- Taking certain medications, such as broad-spectrum antibiotics, cholesterol drugs, and aspirin that may potentially impact or block vitamin absorption.
- Eating foods containing the wrong type of this vitamin with poor bioavailability.
There are three main forms of vitamin K:
- K1-phylloquinone, aka phytonadione, can be found in green leafy vegetables-including lettuce, broccoli, and spinach. These vegetables make up about 90% of the vitamin K in the Western-style diet.
- K2-menaquinone, aka menaquinone, can be found in organ meats, egg yolks and dairy products.
- K3-menadione is a synthetic variant of the vitamin which we don't recommended for human consumption. This is the one you and your family need to avoid at all costs.
The vitamin K which we recommend at Health Renewal is vitamin K2 natural from MK-7. Vitamin K2 includes several menaquinones (MK-n, with the 'n' determined by the number of prenyl side chains), such as found in meats. MK-7, MK-8, and MK-9 are found in fermented food products like cheese and natto (a Japanese food product, consisting of fermented soybeans).
In nature, vitamin K is found in two forms: vitamin K1 (phylloquinone) in leafy, green vegetables, and vitamin K2 (menaquinone) in organ meats, egg yolks, and dairy products. It is important to understand the differences between them before devising your nutritional plan of attack.
Vitamin K2 is the preferred form of vitamin K, and it is produced by bacteria. It is present in high quantities in your gut, but unfortunately is not absorbed from there and passes out in your stool. You can obtain all the vitamin K2 you`ll need (about 200 micrograms) by eating 15 grams of natto (fermented soybeans) daily, or taking a vitamin K2 supplement with fat for better absorption.
One of the best natural sources of vitamin K2 comes from an ancient Japanese food called natto. This is a fermented soybean food, which comes loaded with a healthy bacteria called bacillus subtilus, and may also serve as a probiotic. Fermented foods, like natto, typically have the highest concentration of vitamin K2 in the human diet. Levels of vitamin K2 found in natto (K2) have been shown to far exceed those amounts found in dark green vegetables (K1). In fact, vitamin K2 concentration after the consumption of natto has been shown to be about 10 times higher than that of vitamin K1 after eating spinach. Unfortunately, most people do not eat or enjoy many fermented foods especially natto because it is slimy, unpalatable with a strong flavour and pungent aroma.
While natto is the most potent natural source of vitamin K2, the nutrient is also readily available in fermented dairy products, especially cheese (especially from grass fed cows) such as Gouda, Edam, and Gorgonzola. Curd cheese is also a good vitamin K2 source because it`s lower in fat (animal fat) than regular cheese.
As there are several different forms of vitamin K2, it's very important that you choose MK-7 as the right form of vitamin K2. Health Renewals vitamin K2 is made solely from fermented soy (natto) and delivers the highest quality vitamin K2 formula. MK-7 is a newer agent with more practical applications because it stays in your body longer; its half-life is three days, meaning you have a much better chance of building up a consistent blood level, compared to MK4 or K1. Although the exact dosing is yet to be determined, Health Renewal suggests 150 mcg daily of MK 7.
There are SYNTHETIC forms of this nutrient that may put your health at risk, so it`s very important to make sure you fully understand what to look for. After all, the whole purpose is to give more exposure to the 'forgotten vitamin' so you can reap the benefits...not to spike any health risks with synthetic pretenders. Health Renewals vitamin K2 is made solely from fermented soy (natto) and delivers the highest quality vitamin K2 formula with the following characteristics:
- Non-GMO-Formulas including genetically modified organisms or processes is absolutely unacceptable.
- Allergen-free-Other than fermented soy content from the soybeans, the formula has to be free from known allergens such as peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, finfish, shellfish, and wheat.
- Has a stable fermentation process-Natto fermentation process that involves other derivatives can be very unstable. A consistent and reliable process is needed, that ensures product quality in the formula.
- Must use vitamin K2-7 in the formula-Just like there are many varieties of vitamin K (K1, K2, K3), there are many varieties of K2. K2-7 produced from natto has proven to be one of the most bioavailable, stable, and beneficial varieties.
- Must be pure- Formula must be of the purest fashion with both internal and external lab validations following GMP standards and high-quality best practices.
- Animal free. Some manufacturers may use animal sourced ingredients, such as MK 4 to create their vitamin K formula.
- Must be affordable.
Sufficient intake of vitamin K2 is required to maintain soft and pliable arterial walls. Inadequate vitamin K2 intake can result in an accumulation of calcium in the arterial wall, leading to hardening of the arteries and increased peripheral resistance. Ensuring adequate vitamin K2 intake allows for proper allocation of calcium into the bones to maintain skeletal integrity and away from the arterial wall, helping prevent the arterial "stiffness" that robs so many aging individuals of proper circulation.
While other nutrients are important for maintaining and promoting your bone health (like vitamin D3, calcium, and magnesium), evidence continues to grow indicating a vital role vitamin K2 plays in bone metabolism and healthy bone growth. There are many research studies supporting how vitamin K2 works to help maintain healthy bone mass and growth through its effects on osteocalcin, osteoblasts, and osteoclasts. Vitamin K is the 'key' that unlocks the door from your bloodstream to let calcium flow into your bones and bone marrow. Correct supplementation with vitamin K2 is essential and it may be the modern day "missing link" to increasing your bone density.
Vitamin K2 from MK-7 may:
- Help you build strong bones and keep them healthy.
- Be crucial in prevention of osteoporosis.
- Help boost your vascular (arteries and veins) system.
- Help prevent varicose veins.
- Protect your cells against oxidative damage.
- Promote your heart health.
- Protect and support your skin.
- Help you fight against premature aging.
- Provide calcium path 'key' from your bloodstream into your bones.
- Boost your memory function.
- Help regulate calcification of your tissues.
- Provide you with powerful antioxidant benefits.
- Aid in supporting your already normal blood sugar levels.
- Help in the prevention of prostate cancer, lung cancer, liver cancer and leukemia.
- Prevent brain health problems, including dementia.
NB: It is very important to note, without the high-quality manufacturer focused on stable and pure production of this nutrient built into the Vitamin K2 -7 formula, your benefits could be significantly reduced.
Several studies have shown the following potential synergistic benefits when vitamin K2 and D3 are combined:
- Increased bone formation.
- Enhanced osteocalcin accumulation in cells.
- Amplified bone mineral density.
Millions of people take calcium supplements to maintain a healthy bone structure. Yet few patients or physicians realize that optimizing bone integrity involves more than taking a single mineral supplement. A critical additional component for bone and cardiovascular health is vitamin K2. Recent research has revealed that, without vitamin K2, calcium regulation is disrupted. In fact, low levels of vitamin K2 are associated with an increased risk of heart disease and atherosclerosis.